Thursday, May 16, 2013

Adoption Journey (part 1)


Remember a while back when I shared with you the book, "When God Whispers Loudly?" Well that is something that has definitely been going on in my life. God is whispering--VERY LOUDLY! Let me back up a year ago. My husband and I looked into adopting last year...around this time actually. I somehow ended up on this website that shows how many older children are available for adoption and right then and there my heart sank. 

I couldn't get past the thought of "not one single person in their family wants to take care of them." As I started doing research, I noticed that more and more people tend to think it's the children's fault why they are in the system when in all actuality, it's the parent's fault for not being able to take care of them and if a child does act up--I can't blame them. I can only image what it would be like living in so many different foster homes and not having a place to call your home. 

So we started filing out paperwork to adopt an older child and even had a certain child in mind. Someone we could love unconditionally and support. We called an agency and right away we were hit with roadblocks. There were a number of things that were against us and then I prayed. I prayed so hard it hurt. I asked God to show me a sign--literally--to see if we were supposed to take this walk. You may think it's crazy but on the way to work on a Friday I asked God to show me an "Adopt-a-Highway" sign. I looked so hard on my way to work that I got a headache. I saw nothing all day and I had a feeling that this was not the right time. That was on Friday--by Sunday I accepted the fact that it's not God's will for us and boom--there were SIX--count them--1-2-3-4-5-6 Adopt-a-Highway signs I counted on our way to church and one just before the church!

I could not believe how many there were and driving that drive for years, I have never bother to count or can tell you where they were. But that morning, I believe God had removed the shield from my eyes and I was able to see them. Fast forward two months later. My husband's ex-wife called and said she was moving and didn't want to take their daughter with her. So we had an unexpected member of the family living with us. One night while playing basketball, I ran and got the ball and somehow realized that we were not supposed to adopt an older child through the system--HE was preparing us for an older child that just so happens to be my husband's daughter. I cried when I realized His plans for us and was so grateful when I finally made sense of it all. I often think of the older child who started this idea of adoption and I pray from him. All.the.time. He has such a special place in my heart and I hope one day I get to meet him in heaven. 

Now here we are in May and God has made it obvious that we are in the right place for adoption--only this time an infant. We have made it official with our family and closest friends and we have our first meeting with the social worker next week. We are already three times further along in the process this time around and we are so excited. I will save all the details regarding the loud whispers that lead us to try this again on a different blog post. But in the meantime, I give nothing but praise to the Lord that He has called us to adopt!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment