Friday, January 25, 2013

Surrendering Hunger


Yesterday at during my break, I logged on to Pinterest and started pinning clean eating recipes and other recipes that didn't contain meat. I am finally ready to start working on getting my body back on track and providing a healthy temple for the Holy Spirit.

I started reading a devotional called, “Surrendering Hunger,” by Jan Johnson to help me with my eating habits. At first I was a little hesitant to read it because I was having a difficult time relating to the author. But as I continue to push pass our differences, she does have some insightful devotions.

My eating background in a nutshell: I LOVE FOOD. I love to cook it, talk about it, describe it, oh and most of all eat it. I love meat, rice, chocolate, and anything sweet. And there is my problem. I can’t just eat one brownie. I have to eat six even though I can’t possibly shove another one in my mouth. I have such passion for it which is why it is so difficult for me to portion control myself.

But one thing that is really jumping out at me while reading this is that I live by the motto, “I live to eat.” Just as soon as breakfast is over, I’m looking forward to lunch and I’m even more exited for dinner and then dessert. I have been counting down to the Super Bowl since before Christmas because I can’t wait to indulge in junk food.

I want my motto to change to, “I eat to live.”

If God provides me with food, then surely He can provide a way for me to control myself and my portions. I just need to stop breaking the promises I've made to myself and start trusting God will take care of me because He never breaks His promises. I think that's what happens when you try to do something on your own without God's help--a slew of broken promises which results in failure. Not this time!

So here’s to a new outlook, a new motto, and most of all a deeper understanding and connection with the Holy Spirit!

No comments:

Post a Comment