Monday, February 11, 2013

How Are We Being Like Jesus?

So yesterday I got my church on! I've been looking forward to attending all week; it's almost like I had a feeling that something good was going to happen. Lately, I've been feeling like I've been in tuned with God. When I mentioned or thought about something, I would see it come to life the next day. Sometimes I get a little freaked out about it, then I realize that I am recognizing and following God's voice and it's amazing to see it unfold.

The message at church today was again about love. How to love your neighbor/enemy and how if you loved everyone then there would be no other problems. If you loved your neighbor you would not want to steal from them, lie to them, or kill them. It makes sense. A question that was asked was, "How are we being like Jesus?"

Pastor Chad would ask some thought provoking questions then he would say, "Let that rock your theology for a bit." He's pretty hip with the lingo. It's so funny how one little question, when really thought about, can carry such deep issues. How are we like Jesus? How am I like Jesus? And really the answer for me is so far from it. It's hard to look at everyone with the love of God. It's hard to forgive, it's hard to not take offense, and I wouldn't lay down my life for just anyone. But He did. He did all those things. Why? Because of love.

It's amazing to consider that no way in this lifetime will I ever be completely like Jesus. And just because I know there's no way to reach that level of perfection, it's not like I'm throwing in the towel and reverting back to my sinful ways because I can't. I take a look at my life and I thank God for changing me, even if it is slow process. I consider myself a diamond in the rough. I may have a rough exterior but with God's help, He's slowly shining me up. And what's even more amazing to think about is no matter what stage I am in, I/we are always one of His prized possessions.

If you are in the mood for some more reading, check out this awesome article about the analogy of people and diamonds: http://www.prevailmagazine.org/gods-diamond-in-the-rough/



No comments:

Post a Comment