Friday, February 15, 2013

What Does Love Mean to You?

So in case you missed it, yesterday was Valentine's Day. It seemed no matter where I went it was right there in my face. Yes I realize it is a day of love, flowers, and chocolates and yes I  did have my fair share of chocolates.....well actually heart-shaped York Peppermint Patties to be exact. They are my kryptonite! But I honestly feel it is such an overrated "holiday."

But with everyone buzzing about the day, I wonder what does love mean to you? I was listening to Family Life Radio on my way home from work and some people were saying what their definition of love was. Here are few from the show and a few from others I have encountered:


  • love is when someone scarifies for you
  • love is when someone covers up your feet when they are cold and hanging out of a blanket
  • love is when someone takes their coat off and gives it to you when you're cold. 
  • love is when you can't get enough a person
  • love is being faithful and honest
  • love is seen in how we treat people
  • love is a strong affection for another arising out of kinship or personal ties (definition from Merriam-Webster dictionary)


You see there are so many definitions of love. And not only that....but are so many different kinds of love. There's love for something that tastes good, love for your husband or wife, love for your kids, love for music, love for your neighbor (or lack thereof). The word LOVE is such a beautiful word but it also is a word that is tossed around way too much when people don't really mean it.

Now let me share with you my version of love that is never-ending. God is love. And if one could actually wrap their minds about how much love the Lord has for us....we would be blown away. His love is so great that He actually became one of us and sacrificed His life for us. Each and every single person. I know that I struggle to look a some people and think, "Okay God, how am I supposed to see the love You have for this person?" But just because they are different than us, or may not act the same as us, doesn't mean that God doesn't love them and therefore we shouldn't.

His gift of love is one of the greatest gifts we can receive. And that my dear friends was my Valentine's revelation. I am so thankful for His love, grace, and mercy for me. I'm leaving you with a video that I hear in church on many occasions...."Amazing love, how can it be, that you my King would die for me......"







2 comments:

  1. Love never lets us go. Thank you for this great reminder. When I see a older man feeding his elderly wife in the nursing home, I think of sacrificial love. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on love. My husband is such a softy when it comes to elderly love. Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete